Some posts on this web site include affiliate hyperlinks. If you happen to e book or purchase one thing by these hyperlinks, I earn a small fee (at no further price to you). Check out my privateness coverage for extra data.
Dazzling structure, historic streets, and postcard-worthy sights… these are among the most lovely cities in England.
England is stuffed with beautiful areas. From the long-lasting buildings of the capital to hidden gems just like the nation’s smallest metropolis… there are a whole lot of bewitching magnificence spots to discover!
A few of these cities are particular for his or her historic structure: from historic Roman partitions to regal Georgian cityscapes. Uncover Medieval castles, half-timbered Tudor buildings, and dramatic Norman cathedrals dotted round these enchanting metropolis centres.
Others are constructed on the banks of magnificent rivers, or surrounded by picturesque countryside. However all of them are exceptionally lovely and full of unimaginable photograph ops!
Whether or not you’re searching for a dreamy metropolis break vacation spot or a easy day journey, these picture-perfect English cities might present the proper setting. Get pleasure from…
15 Most Lovely Cities in England
Don’t have time to learn the entire publish? There’s a fast model of the checklist, and a map, on the finish of the web page!
1. Tub, Somerset
With its dazzling, UNESCO World Heritage metropolis centre full of honey-coloured Georgian structure, the spa metropolis of Tub is actually some of the lovely locations in England.
Town’s protected centre is house to some 5,000 listed buildings, so looks-wise, Tub has modified little or no because the Georgians have been right here “taking the waters”. These historic, 18th-century streets have been the setting for dozens of interval motion pictures and TV reveals – most not too long ago the hit Netflix present Bridgerton.
In addition to beautiful structure, Tub is famed for its pure thermal springs, which have been used for his or her restorative and supposed therapeutic properties for hundreds of years. The traditional Romans based a spa city right here within the 1st century AD, and you’ll nonetheless go to their brilliantly preserved tub home in the present day.
Lovely sights in Tub
- The Royal Crescent – a crescent-shaped row of 18th-century terraced townhouses.
- Roman Baths – among the best-preserved historic Roman structure on the planet.
- Pulteney Bridge – a gorgeous Palladian-style bridge overlooking a horseshoe-shaped weir within the River Avon.
- Tub Abbey – a medieval abbey with a hanging tower and lovely fan-vaulted ceilings.
- RECOMMENDED TOUR: Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour (from £22.50pp)
- READ MORE: Plan the Excellent Weekend in Tub
2. Metropolis of Westminster, London
It was tempting to incorporate London as a complete on this checklist of probably the most lovely English cities. The capital is, in any case, our most well-known metropolis, and is full of elegant buildings – from the glittering skyscrapers of the town centre to the tranquil parklands in further-out boroughs like Greenwich and Richmond.
However lots of London’s most iconic and luxurious buildings are discovered throughout the Metropolis of Westminster. Proper on the coronary heart of London, Westminster is definitely a metropolis in its personal proper – in addition to being a London borough.
Though it’s a reasonably small borough, Westminster is full of dazzling historic structure and immediately recognisable sights. So you might simply spend a couple of days exploring.
Lovely sights in Westminster
- Buckingham Palace – the Royal residence. Click on right here to examine ticket costs for visiting the State Rooms.
- The Palace of Westminster – the Homes of Parliament – and the well-known clock Huge Ben alongside them.
- Westminster Abbey – the place royal coronations and weddings are held.
- READ MORE: Issues to do in Westminster
3. York, Yorkshire
A small, quirky metropolis within the north of England, York is stuffed with historical past and tradition. It’s additionally a vibrant, energetic metropolis with two universities, common festivals, and an estimated 365 pubs – one for day by day of the 12 months!
Surrounded by Medieval metropolis partitions – the longest in England – the compact and leafy metropolis centre is full of historic buildings. There are Roman ruins, Medieval halls, and Norman castles – in addition to many unbelievable examples of Georgian and Victorian structure.
Lovely sights in York
- York Minster – a Gothic cathedral constructed between the twelfth and Fifteenth centuries.
- The Shambles – a slender, flagstone road lined with tiny, distinctive outlets.
- Museum Gardens – a reasonably metropolis centre park house to the evocative ruins of St Mary’s Abbey.
- River Ouse Metropolis Cruise – from £14pp.
- READ MORE: Prime Issues to do in York (a neighborhood’s information)
4. Oxford, Oxfordshire
A historic city identified for its world-famous schools, Oxford feels just like the quintessential British metropolis. Nicknamed the “metropolis of dreaming spires” by Victorian poet Matthew Arnold, Oxford is a peaceable metropolis of honey-coloured structure, picturesque streets, and gently flowing rivers.
Courses started at Oxford College in 1096 – with the school formally forming in 1200 – making it the second-oldest college on the planet. Uncover the town’s historic faculty buildings and iconic libraries, discover the river on a standard punt (a gondola-like, flat-bottomed boat) or take a Harry Potter strolling tour (click on right here for costs) to see areas used within the motion pictures.
With its mix of beautiful structure, wealthy historical past, and up to date city centre full of some unbelievable bars and eateries, Oxford makes for a unbelievable English metropolis break.
Lovely sights in Oxford
- Schools of the College of Oxford – the oldest of those historic faculty buildings dates again to the 14th century. Guided excursions begin from £19.95 – click on right here for costs.
- Oxford Botanic Gardens and Arboretum – fairly, peaceable gardens.
- River Cherwell – rent a standard punt to discover this tranquil waterway.
- Bodleian Library – one of many oldest libraries in Europe, opened in 1602.
- READ MORE: Greatest Issues to do in Oxford
5. Cambridge, Cambridgeshire
With its wonky laneways, good-looking Gothic structure, and serene river dotted with wood punts, the attractive college city of Cambridge is definitely some of the lovely cities in England.
Based in 1209 by students who left Oxford for political causes, the College of Cambridge is among the oldest and greatest on the planet. Each universities share many traditions – together with their well-known annual Boat Race – and the 2 cities share numerous traditions.
Probably the most spellbinding a part of Cambridge is The Backs – a big swathe of inexperienced, lower by the River Cam. Punting on this tranquil waterway affords chic views of the long-lasting buildings that make up the historic schools.
Lovely sights in Cambridge
- King’s Faculty – probably the most well-known faculty constructing, identified for its hanging Gothic tower.
- The Backs and the River Cam – a stunning inexperienced space behind the college buildings.
- Bridge of Sighs – a lined stone bridge over the river at St John’s Faculty.
- RECOMMENDED TOUR: Strolling & Punting Tour, from £60pp
6. Canterbury, Kent
The picturesque streets of Canterbury are steeped in historical past relationship way back to the Roman occasions. Divided in two by the tranquil River Stour – considered one of England’s most historic waterways – Canterbury is understood for its superbly preserved Medieval structure and Roman metropolis partitions.
It is a metropolis of quaint cobbled streets lined with timber-framed buildings, quirky unbiased outlets, and historic pubs. Like Oxford and Cambridge, Canterbury can be well-known for punting on the river. These flat-bottomed wood boats provide a singular technique to discover the town centre.
Lovely sights in Canterbury
- River Stour – take a river cruise or go punting on this tranquil metropolis centre waterway.
- Canterbury Cathedral – some of the well-known cathedrals on the planet and seat of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
- Previous Weaver’s Home – a half-timbered Sixteenth-century constructing overlooking the river.
- Guided Strolling Tour of Canterbury – from £15pp
- READ MORE: Issues to do in Canterbury (a Native’s Information)
7. Chester, Cheshire
First based as a Roman fortress in Northwest England, close to the border with northern Wales, Chester is a reasonably, energetic metropolis with a really historic centre. It’s additionally a reasonably small English metropolis, affording easy accessibility to the encircling Cheshire countryside.
Many traces of the 1st-century Roman metropolis stay, such because the in depth metropolis partitions constructed from native crimson sandstone. Town centre can be house to the biggest Roman amphitheatre in Britain.
Lovely sights in Chester
- The Rows: a 700-year-old buying district full of Tudor half-timbered buildings and lined arcades.
- Chester Cathedral – house to Europe’s most interesting instance of medieval carvings.
- RECOMMENDED TOUR: Half-Hour Metropolis Cruise – from £8.50pp
8. Durham, County Durham
A small, fairly metropolis within the North East of England, Durham is surrounded by rolling English countryside. The Cathedral right here is alleged to be among the finest in England, overlooking the scenic River Put on which flows by the town centre on its approach from the Pennines to the North Sea.
Within the nineteenth century, County Durham was a hub of coal mining exercise, and that business left a robust mark on the town. The historic Durham Miners’ Gala continues to be held yearly on the second Saturday of July, celebrating the realm’s proud mining heritage.
Lovely sights in Durham
- Durham Cathedral – attractive Norman cathedral which was used as a filming location within the first two Harry Potter movies.
- Durham Fort – you’ll be able to truly spend an evening on this historic citadel, which is a part of Durham College.
- READ MORE: Issues to do in Durham
9. Ely, Cambridgeshire
Mendacity simply northeast of Cambridge, Ely is far lesser identified however equally as fairly. This small, quiet metropolis on the banks of the River Nice Ouse is good for a calming getaway.
Take a riverside stroll to identify conventional narrowboats crusing previous, discover the historic structure of the town centre, and uncover a vibrant unbiased meals scene.
It’s not simply the town which is gorgeous: Ely can be identified for the peaceable countryside which surrounds it. Town sits on a clay “island” on the coronary heart of The Fens: a flat, marshy area in Japanese England identified for its wealthy wildlife. There’s additionally an intensive river community – good for canoeing and crusing journeys.
Lovely sights in Ely
- Ely Cathedral – a surprise of medieval engineering accomplished in 1342.
- Oliver Cromwell’s Home – the oldest a part of this half-timbered historic house dates from round 1215.
- Wicken Fen Nature Reserve – a big wetland space simply south of Ely with wealthy birdlife.
10. Exeter, Devon
Whereas lots of the cities on this checklist have been based by the Romans, Exeter pre-dates their arrival. But it surely was the Romans who actually formed this historic metropolis on the banks of the River Exe.
Surrounded by Roman Metropolis Partitions, the capital of Devon is a tranquil riverside metropolis with a thriving unbiased scene and a captivating, leafy centre.
Don’t miss the possibility to discover the waterways whereas in Exeter. Take a scenic cruise alongside Exeter Canal, or kayak all the way down to the favored Double Locks Pub. Alternatively, cycle the Exe Estuary Path by countryside and riverside cities so far as Dawlish Warren.
Lovely sights in Exeter
- Exeter Cathedral – eclectic Norman and Gothic-style cathedral. Don’t miss the carved picture display on the facade, relationship from the 1340s – or the world’s longest medieval stone vaulted ceiling inside.
- The Quayside – redeveloped waterside space on the canal, the place unbiased outlets are tucked into historic warehouse cellars.
- Gandy Road – a slender, cobbled buying road identified for its unbiased boutiques and eateries.
11. Worcester, Worcestershire
The house of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce, composer Edward Elgar, and the long-lasting Royal Worcester Porcelain, Worcester is a vibrant and proudly unbiased metropolis on the River Severn.
There are lots of great heritage sights and historic buildings to discover – together with a number of historic pubs, such because the 14-century Cardinal’s Hat! In addition to fascinating structure abounding with British historical past, there’s a wealthy programme of occasions and festivals showcasing Worcester’s thriving cultural scene.
Lovely sights in Worcester
- Worcester Cathedral – a gorgeous Eleventh-century cathedral on the banks of the River Severn.
- Worcester Metropolis Artwork Gallery and Museum – a free museum housed in a sublime Victorian constructing.
- Medieval and Tudor timbered buildings – corresponding to The Commandery, Greyfriars Home, and the Tudor Home Museum.
12. Norwich, Norfolk
An historic metropolis with roots going again to the Iron Age, Norwich is full of historical past. Uncover Norman, Medieval, Georgian, and Victorian structure on this quirky, culture-rich metropolis.
Because of its literary background, and the excessive variety of graduates from the native College of East Anglia’s artistic writing programs, Norwich was listed as England’s first UNESCO Metropolis of Literature in 2012.
Not solely is Norfolk some of the lovely cities in England, it’s additionally the one metropolis in a Nationwide Park. The Broads Nationwide Park is a water-filled space of rivers, broads, and lakes – in addition to historic monuments and greater than 1 / 4 of Britain’s rarest wildlife.
Lovely sights in Norwich
- Norwich Fort – constructed by the Normans as a royal palace over 900 years in the past.
- Norwich Cathedral – an impressive, Romanesque cathedral set inside enticing grounds.
- The Lanes – a maze of slender alleys and cobbled pedestrian streets full of unbiased eateries, espresso outlets, and bars.
13. Salisbury, Wiltshire
A medieval metropolis with a surprising Thirteenth-century cathedral, Salisbury is a peaceable place that feels extra like a countryside village than it does a metropolis! Don’t miss the charming, historic excessive road lined with boutique outlets and unbiased eateries.
Salisbury is surrounded by unimaginable historic sights. Probably the most well-known landmark in England, Stonehenge, is a brief drive away and a must-visit when you’re within the metropolis. However there’s additionally Previous Sarum, the ruins of the unique metropolis of Salisbury, which was constructed on high of an Iron Age hillfort.
Most lovely sights in Salisbury
- Stonehenge – the long-lasting, 5,000-year-old stone circle shrouded in thriller. Click on right here to examine admission costs.
- Salisbury Cathedral – house to Britain’s tallest spire.
- Mompesson Home – a gorgeous 18th-century townhouse which featured within the movie Sense and Sensibility.
14. Winchester, Hampshire
About an hour south of London, Winchester is a small and charming metropolis on the sting of the picturesque South Downs Nationwide Park.
The Excessive Road in Winchester is among the oldest – and prettiest – within the nation, lined with superbly preserved Medieval and Tudor half-timbered buildings. The medieval Chesil Rectory dates again to 1425 and is the oldest business constructing within the metropolis.
Winchester’s city centre can be identified for its unbiased companies. Spend time searching boutique outlets, or cease for espresso in one of many many unbiased cafes.
Lovely sights in Winchester
- Winchester Cathedral – this imposing Norman cathedral is surrounded by historic sights, such because the Fifteenth-century timber-framed Cheyney Court docket.
- The Nice Corridor – all that continues to be of a stone citadel constructed for William the Conqueror in 1067. It’s additionally house to a duplicate of King Arthur’s Spherical Desk.
- Winchester Metropolis Mill – a restored water mill on the River Itchen.
- RECOMMENDED TOUR: Historic Castles and Cathedrals Strolling Tour – from £12pp
15. Wells, Somerset
Tucked away in scenic Somerset, Wells is England’s smallest metropolis. With its cobbled streets lined with tearooms, pubs, and vintage outlets, this feels extra like a countryside city than it does a metropolis!
Sitting proper on the fringe of the beautiful Mendip Hills AONB, that is one other metropolis that’s well-positioned for countryside explorations. You’ll want to get out into the Hills to discover the rolling countryside and peaceable woodlands – in addition to dramatic gorges and caves like those at Cheddar and Wookey Gap.
Lovely sights in Wells
- Wells Cathedral – a part of an necessary British Pilgrimage route.
- The Bishop’s Palace & Gardens – 800-year-old Medieval palace surrounded by 14 acres of charming gardens.
- Cheddar – a cute village in a dramatic rocky gorge dotted with caves, simply northwest of Wells.
Map of England’s Lovely Cities
Most lovely cities in England: the Fast Model
- Metropolis of Westminster
Visiting England’s Most Lovely Cities
So, there you will have it: your information to probably the most lovely cities to go to in England. Whether or not you’re planning a day journey, a romantic UK getaway, or a fast metropolis break, any of those superb English cities can be the proper setting!
Most have practice stations, so can simply be reached by public transport. If you happen to’re coming by automotive, search for Park and Experience carparks as a substitute of parking within the metropolis centre. These are often discovered on the sting of the town and supply free automotive parking when you take the bus into the centre. This can prevent cash and enable you keep away from congested metropolis centres – in addition to serving to alleviate air pollution issues.
I additionally strongly advocate you to discover as many unbiased companies as you’ll be able to. Not solely will supporting native companies assist actual folks within the cities you go to, however it can additionally make your journey MUCH extra attention-grabbing. There are all the time distinctive outlets, fabulous eateries, and quirky espresso outlets to find!
Have I missed some of the lovely cities in England off this checklist? Scroll all the way down to share your favourites within the feedback!