There are a lot of stunning scenic drives in Cape City. The world across the metropolis is extremely numerous and gives an important number of scenic highway journeys from gorgeous coastal drives to mountain passes and vineyards. Driving round Cape City you possibly can benefit from the great surroundings, see wildlife, go to wine estates, and check out some adventurous actions. Among the advised drives we’ve completed many instances and each time we discover new locations to go to and actions to do. Out of many issues to do in Cape City scenic drives are one thing to not miss right here.
A number of unbelievable scenic drives in Cape City supply spectacular surroundings and loads of wonderful issues to do. The scenic drive alongside the Cape Peninsula together with Chapman’s Peak Drive might be our favourite right here. The surroundings alongside the route is breathtaking for those who come to South Africa for a honeymoon this drive is certainly to be included in your itinerary.
Renting a automotive for doing scenic drives in Cape City
All roads on the advised scenic drives in Cape City are tarred you possibly can drive in any automotive, it may be a pleasant journey on a motorcycle as effectively however provided that you’re a assured driver.
Renting a automotive is the easiest way to discover Cape City and its environment and the simplest method to transfer round. All roads are tarred you don’t want a 4×4 to do any of the advised scenic drives in Cape City. You possibly can hire a automotive at Cape City airport, decide it up on arrival, and drop it off on departure. We’ve completed it on our journey to South Africa this yr and it labored out nice for us.
Journey insurance coverage on your Cape City journey
Sadly, issues can and do go incorrect while you journey. World Nomads gives protection for greater than 150 actions in addition to emergency medical, misplaced baggage, journey cancellation and extra.
World Nomads’ mission is to help and encourage vacationers to discover their boundaries. They provide easy and versatile journey insurance coverage and security recommendation that can assist you journey confidently.
Cape Peninsula Scenic Drive
Driving route: Cape City – Camps Bay – Hout Bay – Chapman’s Peak Drive – Noordhoek – Kommetjie – Misty Cliffs – Cape Level Nationwide Park (Cape of Good Hope) – Boulders Seashore (Simon’s City) – Muizenberg – Cape City.
- Distance – 145 km loop
- Time – something between 4 and eight hours relying on what number of locations you go to.
- When to do the drive – the realm is gorgeous any time of the yr one of the best is to do the drive on a pleasant not very windy day.
Cape Peninsula excursions
Highlights of the drive
- Camps Bay – stunning seashores, and ice-cold water.
- Hout Bay – one of the best place for recognizing Cape Fur seals on this drive.
- Chapman’s Peak Drive – probably the most scenic drive in Cape City.
- Kommetjie – a lovely white-sand seaside with nice waves for browsing.
- Cape Level Nationwide Park – the place you possibly can spend all day, there are numerous strolling routes, some stunning seashores, and really chilly water.
- Boulder’s Seashore, Simon’s City – is one among the must-see locations in Cape City. It’s a small hidden white-sand seaside surrounded by big boulders with fairly just a few penguins swimming and strolling round.
- Muizenberg – a busy surf city with colourful wood cabins on the white sandy seaside.
Issues to do on the Cape Level drive
- Snorkeling with seals in Hout Bay
- Guided kayaking tour in Hout Bay
- Browsing in Kommetjie – good waves for all ranges, there’s a board rental place close to the seaside.
- Climbing at Cape Level Nationwide Park. There are a number of brief hikes in addition to a 2-day hike with staying at an in a single day hut.
- Swimming, enjoyable, and watching penguins at Boulder’s Seashore.
- Browsing or SUPing in Muizenberg, you will get a browsing lesson or hire a board from one of many surf outlets right here.
Chapman’s Peak Drive
More often than not the route goes alongside the coast with many gorgeous lookouts and limitless white-sand seashores. I’d suggest together with this drive in your Cape City itinerary. It’s not a protracted drive however there may be a lot to see right here that it’ll take you all the day, the sooner you begin the higher. The primary cease is Camps Bay the fanciest neighborhood of Cape City and the place with the costliest property within the nation.
From there you drive over the go to Hout Bay the place you possibly can see seals within the harbor, for suggestions locals will present you ways they feed seals. Lastly, you’re attending to Chapman’s Peak Drive. It’s on a toll highway you pay ZAR 50/US$3 for a automotive to drive by way of but it surely’s value it. It is among the most stunning drives within the nation.
Cape Level Nationwide Park
Take your time within the Cape Level Nationwide Park. There’s a lot to see right here. One can spend the entire day simply driving and strolling round; it’s a completely stunning place. The highlights of the park are Cape Level, Cape of Good Hope, the Lighthouse, Diaz Seashore, Kleine Bucht, Vasco Da Gama Cross, and Bordjiesrif Tidal Pool. The simplest approach of attending to the Lighthouse and the summit of Cape Level is to take a Flying Dutchman Funicular, you possibly can purchase tickets on-line and skip the road.
There are a few day mountaineering trails at Cape Level; Ship Wreck Path (3-5km), Phyllisia Circuit (7km), Kanonkop (5km), Cape of Good Hope Path (3,5km), Lighthouse Keeper’s Path (2km). Ask for a map on the entrance, all the paths are marked and comparatively simple.
Boulders Seashore, Simon’s City
A small white-sand seaside hidden between big boulders with calm warmish waters is part of the marine protected space. The distinctive great thing about Boulder’s Seashore will not be the one motive that draws guests to this seaside every single day, cute African penguins are at all times round; strolling, swimming, or resting on the rocks. Visiting the Boulders Penguin colony it’s the solely place the place you possibly can swim with African penguins!
To prime up your marine animals’ expertise in Simon’s City do a snorkeling or a diving journey to see seals and Cow sharks (they don’t seem to be identified to assault divers). Simon’s City is among the finest spots for diving in Cape City together with diving with sharks.
place for browsing or studying tips on how to surf. There are just a few surf outlets on the seaside so you probably have extra time you possibly can keep right here for a few days. Taking a non-public lesson is a good way to begin browsing. Don’t neglect to take a look at the colourful wood cabins in Muizenberg, which superior distinction with the white sand seaside and blue sea. One of many prime Instagram locations round Cape City.
You possibly can keep in Muizenberg and watch the sundown on the seaside or finish your day with the gorgeous Lion’s Head hike and watch the solar taking place from the highest of it. Lion’s Head is among the hottest sundown spots in Cape City.
Locations to remain on the Cape Level drive
In the course of the peak summer time season lodging within the space is normally absolutely booked. In case you are available December-January it’s extremely advisable to ebook a spot upfront.
There are a lot of incredible espresso outlets in Cape City the place you possibly can cease for breakfast and low earlier than your scenic drive.
Cape City – Hermanus drive
Driving route: Cape City – Strand – Gordon’s Bay – Rooi-Els – Betty’s Bay – Harold Porter Botanical Backyard – Kleinmond – Hermanus – Sir Lowry’s Move – Cape City.
- Distance – 260 km return, a technique alongside the coast, return over Sir Lowry’s Move. 280 km if driving alongside the coast each methods.
- Time – 5 hours for the drive and taking pictures, plus additional time for actions.
- When to do the drive – August & September are one of the best months if you wish to see Southern Proper Whale close to Hermanus. Summer season months, November – March, have one of the best climate although it will get very windy in December – January. Throughout Christmas and New Yr, this route is extraordinarily busy.
Go to Hermanus with a tour
It’s one among our favourite scenic drives that we normally do as a day journey from Cape City. We’ve completed it many instances and each time we’re heading that approach we get very excited. The surroundings is actually spectacular; stunning mountains, rugged shoreline, white-sand seashores, dramatic drops, and numerous marine life. If you wish to do the Backyard Route highway journey from Cape City this drive is a good way to begin it. After Hermanus, you simply proceed driving in the direction of Mossel Bay the place the route begins.
Highlights of the highway journey
- Clearance Drive is a surprising drive alongside the coast from Gordon’s Bay.
- Rooi-Els – a small city on the sea.
- Crystal Swimming pools Pure Reserve.
- Stony Level Nature Reserve, penguins sanctuary in Betty’s Bay.
- Harold Porter Botanical Backyard.
- Whales and dolphins in Hermanus.
- Penguins and sea birds in Gansbaai.
Issues to do
- Swimming at Koel Bay at one of many seashores on the way in which from Gordon’s Bay to Rooi-Els.
- Climbing in Crystal Swimming pools Nature Reserve, there’s a good 2-3 hours return hike to the falls and pure swimming pools, an 8km stroll. Open from November to April, dawn to sundown. Entrance ZAR60 per individual.
- Browsing at Koel Bay seaside, deliver a surfboard with you and look ahead to sharks.
- Snorkeling at Rooi Els, you possibly can spot crayfish water will not be as chilly as in Cape City however you continue to want a wetsuit.
- Climbing on the Harold Porter Botanical Backyard.
- Whale watching in Hermanus. The season is from July to November, and the height season is from August – October when southern proper whales are within the space. Normally, you see many seals and occasional penguins within the water as effectively in the course of the tour.
The Clarence Drive from Gordon’s Bay to Rooi Els is simply as gorgeous as Chapman’s Peak Drive. It’s on the winding coastal highway with many viewpoints and a few nice and normally empty seashores. While you cease at a viewpoint close to Gordon’s Bay look out for seals and dolphins there are normally some within the water near the shore.
A pleasant small city of Betty’s Bay with lengthy and normally empty white-sand seashores surrounded by mountains. A neighborhood seaside is a pleasant place for a picnic on a not-windy day. If after visiting Boulder’s Seashore you’re nonetheless eager to see extra African penguins go to Stony Level Nature Reserve, there are a whole lot of penguins there normally chilling on the seaside proper on the entrance.
Harold Porter Botanical Backyard
This stunning backyard is stuffed with lush inexperienced vegetation and flowers. Harold Porter Botanical Backyard is a pleasant place to come back for a picnic, stroll across the backyard, or have a meal on the restaurant. There are a number of day mountaineering trails right here; the Zigzag, Fynbos, and Leopard’s Kloof Trails. To go to Leopard’s Kloof or to do the hike there you need to begin earlier than 1pm.
There are a lot of nice issues to do in Hermanus. In case you’re within the space between August and November we’d suggest doing a whale-watching tour, southern proper whales are in Hermanus this time of the yr, and possibilities to identify them are fairly good.
If you need extra adrenaline-pumping exercise you are able to do cage diving with sharks the place you’ve got good possibilities to see nice white sharks and a few bronze whaler sharks.
In case you have extra time you possibly can keep for an evening in Hermanus and prolong this drive to Cape Agulhas, the southernmost level of Africa (for extra particulars see the drive beneath).
Locations to remain in Hermanus
Cape City – Cape Agulhas highway journey
Driving route: Cape City – Gordon’s Bay – Betty’s Bay – Hermanus – Elim – Struisbaai – Cape Agulhas – Arniston – Napier – Sir Lowry’s Move – Cape City.
- Distance – 500 km loop (a technique alongside the coast, return inland over Sir Lowry’s Move).
- Time – 2-3 days.
- When to do the drive – summer time months November – March is one of the best climate. December – January could be fairly windy. Christmas and New Yr are very busy.
Cape City to Cape Agulhas drive with a tour
Highlights of the drive
- Gordon’s Bay Drive.
- Stony Level Penguins colony at Betty’s Bay.
- Whales, seals, and penguins in Hermanus.
- Elim, a small village with cute little homes lined alongside the primary road.
- The comfy city of Napier with many cafes, eating places, and memento outlets on the primary road.
- White fisherman cottages in Arniston
- Waenhuiskrans Collapse Arniston
- Cape Agulhas, the southernmost level of Africa
- Cape Agulhas Lighthouse
Issues to do
- Shark cage diving in Gansbaai, all yr spherical although inquire earlier than as generally orcas are within the space and sharks (Nice Whites) disappear.
- Wine and beer tasting, there are a few locations round Hermanus and a few on the way in which to Cape Agulhas.
- Exploring Waenhuiskrans Cave.
- Watching the sundown on Struisbaai seaside.
- Recognizing Parrie, an enormous stingray that lives on the harbor of Struisbaai.
This route will not be a day drive however somewhat a pleasant weekend getaway from Cape City. Driving alongside the coast a technique and inland return you get an opportunity to see the gorgeous coast, sandy seashores, inexperienced rolling hills, picturesque vineyards, and small cities.
Gansbaai and Elim
Gansbaai is a small city the primary motive vacationers come right here is whale-watching or shark diving because the excursions begin right here. From Gansbaai drive by way of Elim on the way in which to Struisbaai, it’s a small however beautiful fisherman city with white cottages lined up alongside the highway. Simply outdoors Elim, there’s a good wine property/restaurant Black Oystercatcher Wines.
The second choice, driving from Hermanus previous Stanford by way of Napier. This route is shorter you’ll skip Gansbaai and Elim however you get extra wine farms on the way in which. Napier is a stunning city with stunning previous homes, good eating places, cozy cafes, and memento outlets. It seems to be very stunning within the Jacaranda season between October and December.
Arniston is a small fisherman city the place many locals go for the December vacation, the highlights of the city are white-colored fisherman’s cottages on the harbor and Waenhuiskrans Cave. You possibly can go to the cave solely at low tide. The one entry to the cave besides the ocean is thru a gap in a cave at excessive tide it’s underwater. The cave is large with a lovely view over the ocean.
Struisbaai and Cape Agulhas
Struisbaai and Cape Agulhas formally are two small cities however they appear extra like one place, it’s a really quiet place out of season, in December-January and Easter many South Africans come right here for the vacation. The principle factor that draws vacationers is the Southernmost Level of the African continent, the purpose formally divides two oceans; the Atlantic and the Indian although there isn’t any seen line between them.
Although the purpose is inside Agulhas Nationwide Park there isn’t any gate or entrance price. One other native attraction is Parrie the Stingray, an enormous stingray that has been dwelling within the harbor for a few years. Typically there are two or three stingrays within the harbor. Struisbaai has a pleasant lengthy seaside for swimming, working, and watching the sundown or dawn.
Locations to remain in Struisbaai/Cape Agulhas
West Coast Flower route drive
Driving route; Cape City – Durbanville wine route (elective) – Melkbosstrand – West Coast Nationwide Park – Langebaan – Paternoster – Cape City
- Distance – 316 km
- Time – something between 6 and 10 hours
- Greatest time for the drive – August and September are one of the best months for driving this route if you wish to see 1000’s of wildflowers masking the fields and the coast alongside the West Coast
West Coast with a tour
Highlights of the drive
- Durbanville wine route
- Lovely coastal surroundings; white-sand seashores, sand dunes, and so forth.
- West Coast Nationwide Park – the closest to Cape City place to see well-known Namaqualand flowers.
- Langebaan – a relaxing seaside city common for kitesurfing.
- Paternoster – a captivating city with nice seafood eating places.
Issues to do
- Wine tasting at Durbanville. The world is thought for Sauvignon Blanc. Many wine farms in Durbanville have attention-grabbing pairings e.g. wine and nougat, MCC and macaroons, and so forth.
- Climbing/driving and having fun with wildflowers at West Coast Nationwide Park.
- Chilling on the Lagoon in Langebaan.
- Consuming contemporary seafood at Paternoster.
Spring is one of the best time to drive the Namaqualand flower route although the realm is gorgeous any time of the yr and price visiting even outdoors the flower season. On the way in which from Cape City to the West Coast, you possibly can cease at a number of wine farms in Durbanville and do some tastings. An enormous benefit of this drive in comparison with the opposite coastal routes is that there’s by no means a lot site visitors even in the course of the December vacation. This drive could be a excellent begin for a Cape City – Namibia highway journey.
West Coast Nationwide Park
It’s the closest place to Cape City to see the well-known flowers of Namaqualand. At West Coast Nationwide Park you possibly can see a novel mixture of fields and hills coated in a flower carpet subsequent to the white-sand seashores of the Atlantic Ocean. There are a few mountaineering, biking, and driving routes contained in the park that can take you to probably the most spectacular corners of the West Coast.
A small city with a lovely lagoon and lengthy sandy seashores is among the hottest locations for kitesurfing in Cape City. Summer season months December to February is one of the best time for kitesurfing right here. In case you go to it in the course of the flower season, it’s unlikely there might be any wind.
One other small city on the West Coast with conventional fishermen’s white homes, limitless white sandy seashores, and a lovely shoreline. Paternoster is known for its contemporary seafood and fish eating places in addition to bakeries. It’s a pleasant place to cease for lunch with unbelievable sea views.
Locations to remain in Langebaan
Cape Winelands drive
Driving route: Cape City – Stellenbosch – Helshoogte Street – Franschhoek – Franschhoek Move – Babylonstoren – Cape City
- Distance – 180 km return
- Time – 1-2 days if you wish to do wine tasting and another actions within the space.
- Greatest time for the drive – summer time between November to March is one of the best time for visiting the Winelands. Wine farms get extraordinarily busy in summer time over weekends you probably have an opportunity it’s higher to do a tasting on weekdays.
Go to Winelands with a tour
Highlights of the drive
- Implausible wine farms round Stellenbosch – you’ll find a few of the finest South African wine farms right here.
- The historic middle and the College of Stellenbosch – a pleasant space to stroll round and drink a cup of espresso.
- Jonkershoek Nature Reserve – a surprising place for mountaineering.
- Lovely Helshoogte Street with a few gorgeous estates.
- Franschhoek Motor Museum – a whole lot of vehicles from the primary motorized automobiles to the System 1 racing vehicles.
- Wine farms in Franschhoek – this wine route is one among our favorites in Cape Winelands
- Franschhoek Move – a lovely mountain go with wonderful views
- Babylonstoren – this place has every thing; wine tasting, lush inexperienced gardens, eating places, and so forth. You possibly can simply spend a few hours exploring it.
Issues to do
- Wine tasting in Stellenbosch
- Climbing in Jonkershoek Nature Reserve
- Wine tasting in Franschhoek
- Using the Franschhoek wine tram
- Diving over the Franschhoek Move
- Visiting Franschhoek Motor Museum
- Having fun with the gorgeous backyard at Babylonstoren
It’s a lovely drive by way of the primary wine areas in Cape City with gorgeous views, nice wines, stunning estates, and plenty of wonderful actions. You are able to do this journey in at some point or spend extra time within the space there are sufficient locations and issues to do to maintain you busy for every week.
The city itself and the encircling space are completely attractive. Stellenbosch is a bustling College city the one time you possibly can see it quiet is throughout holidays. The historic middle of the city could be very good for strolling; previous oak bushes, colonial-style buildings, the College campus, vintage outlets, and small cafes.
Regardless of the small dimension, there are many issues to do in Stellenbosch together with wonderful out of doors actions. Implausible Stellenbosch wine farms are one of many important causes that appeal to 1000’s of vacationers. There are greater than 100 wine estates right here even for those who spend months doing wine tasting you gained’t be capable to go to all of them.
Locations to remain in Stellenbosch
The small charming city of Franschhoek is a superb place for a romantic getaway from Cape City. Positioned within the picturesque Franschhoek Valley the city boasts a few of the best eating places and one of the best wine estates within the nation. It’s the place to come back for those who take pleasure in superb eating and nice wines. You possibly can drive across the valley stopping at totally different wine estates or take a break from driving and bounce on the Franschhoek wine tram. It’s a good way of visiting a few of the wine estates on the route. Identical to in Stellenbosch, there are numerous wonderful issues to do in Franschhoek apart from wine tasting.
Locations to remain in Franschhoek
Constantia Valley journey
Driving route: Cape City metropolis middle – Kirstenbosch Botanical Backyard (Rhodes Avenue) – Rhodes Drive – Constantia Wine Valley – Cape City metropolis middle.
- Distance – 46 km return
- Time – 2 hours for the drive and pictures plus the time you’ll spend wine tasting, consuming, and so forth.
- Greatest time for the drive – any season if it’s a pleasant sunny day. Mondays usually are not nice as most wine farms are closed to guests. On weekends wine estates and eating places get very busy.
Go to Constantia with a tour
Highlights of the drive
- Kirstenbosch Botanical Backyard – the greenest place in Cape City
- Rhodes Drive – a surprising 7 km drive
- Gorgeous wine estates in Constantia Valley
Totally different excursions from Cape City mix wine tasting in Constantia with different actions you possibly can be part of one among them for those who’re alone or don’t have a chosen driver (ingesting and driving isn’t a good suggestion).
Issues to do
- Strolling/mountaineering or picnicking in Kirstenbosch Botanical Backyard.
- Wine tasting within the Constantia Valley.
- Having fun with lunch with gorgeous views over the vineyards at one of many wine farms.
That is the shortest out of the advised scenic drives in Cape City but it surely’s a really spectacular space. The drive is ideal for a romantic day trip it has all you want; gorgeous surroundings, nice wines, and scrumptious meals. You possibly can mix this drive with a visit across the Cape Peninsula.
Kirstenbosch Nationwide Botanical Backyard
Kirstenbosch is the greenest place in Cape City with a number of strolling and mountaineering trails of various lengths and issue ranges. An ideal place to begin a day with a picnic on the grass or breakfast at one of many espresso outlets contained in the backyard. Don’t miss the Boomslang (tree snake) tree cover within the backyard. It winds amongst tree crowns providing nice views of Kirstenbosch and the encircling space.
Constantia Wine route
One of the spectacular wine areas round Cape City with a few of the oldest wine estates within the nation. 8 wine farms are open to the general public for tasting. In case you come right here on weekdays there isn’t any must ebook something upfront, on weekends and public holidays, it could be higher to make a reservation particularly for those who’re planning to have lunch or dinner at one of many estates.
Each wine farm in Constantia is value visiting however two estates are our favorites; Beau Constantia and Constantia Glen. Each have one of the best views of the realm and nice wines. We’ve got an in depth put up on Constantia wine farms the place you’ll find extra details about every farm.
Locations to remain in Constantia
Two Mountain Passes Drive
Driving route; Cape City – Paarl – Du Toitskloof Move (Rawsonville) – Slanghoek – Bain’s Kloof Move – Wellington – Cape City.
- Distance – 248 km
- Time – from 4 hours
- Greatest time for the drive – any season on a pleasant day, not advisable to drive over the passes in heavy rain or if temperatures are beneath 0C. On Sundays, a lot of the wine farms on the Breedekloof wine route are closed if you wish to do some tasting it’s higher to come back on weekdays or Saturdays.
- Du Toitskloof Move
- The drive between the go and Rawsonville
- Breedekloof Wine Route
- Bain’s Kloof Move
Issues to do
- Driving over Du Toitskloof Move and Bain’s Move.
- Climbing at Limietberg Nature Reserve, there are a number of mountaineering trails close to the passes.
- Tasting wines at Breedekloof Wine Route.
An attractive drive over two incredible passes with a number of wine farms alongside the route, a few good eating places/espresso outlets, and farm stalls. This route might be some of the off-the-beaten-track drives close to Cape City. It’s by no means very busy right here even wine farms usually are not overcrowded on holidays and weekends like on the opposite wine routes. In case you’re looking for a tranquil drive with gorgeous surroundings the 2 passes are an important choice.
Locations to remain in Paarl
Journey insurance coverage on your Cape City journey
Since 2002, World Nomads have been defending, connecting and provoking impartial vacationers. They provide easy and versatile journey insurance coverage and security recommendation that can assist you journey confidently.
Journey planning sources
LIKE THIS POST? PIN IT!
Please observe and like us:
The gorgeous half of Stingy Nomads, chargeable for all our land adventures (mountaineering, climbing, strolling the Camino) and following them write-ups. Alya loves strolling since she was a toddler, she prefers to stroll 1000 km with a backpack somewhat than to do a ten 000 km highway journey (really any highway journey). Alya is an enormous fan of Latin America, the Spanish language, and dancing. Each time we go away she desperately misses our canine Chile.