What are you able to count on when visiting Iceland? Mountains, waterfalls, untouched nature, glaciers, and should you’re fortunate, energetic volcanoes. And final however not least, steaming scorching springs: the key recipe for surviving Icelandic climate.
Víti, positioned throughout the Askja caldera within the Highlands of Iceland, is a volcanic crater crammed with heat, mineral-rich water. It’s not straightforward to get there because it requires a very good automobile and good climate situations, however it’s a must-visit place if you’re up for some journey.
Why go to Víti
Víti gives the distinctive expertise of swimming in a crater in the course of distant Icelandic nature. With the encompassing black volcanic landscapes that appear to be from one other world, this go to will depart you with sturdy recollections. Furthermore, this isn’t a typical vacationer spot. The isolation makes it an escape from the busy vacationer spots.
How one can get to Víti
To go to Askja, you’ll want a 4×4 automobile, and it’s solely accessible throughout the summer season months. Be ready for a difficult drive by the Highlands. The most typical start line is from the north of Iceland. Take the Route F88 from Myvatn. The street will take you to the F91 main in direction of Askja.
Recommendations on visiting Víti
- From the automobile park on the finish of the street, a climbing path about 2.5 km lengthy results in the crater rim and Lake Öskjuvatn.
- The spot is accessible solely throughout the summer season season from mid-June till mid-September and is appropriate just for superior drivers.
- Make sure you select the correct automobile for Iceland, particularly for the highlands
Swimming in Víti is a novel expertise, however be cautious, because the water may be fairly heat.
Guðrúnarlaug Sizzling Spring
Guðrúnarlaug is a comfortable scorching spring within the west of Iceland. A landslide collapsed on the unique scorching tub, so the unique Guðrún scorching pool has been closed for 140 years. These days, you’ll be able to go to a duplicate of the unique scorching tub, which was constructed based mostly on what we consider scorching swimming pools appeared like in Viking occasions.
Why go to Guðrúnarlaug
It’s certainly one of Iceland’s hidden gems providing a peaceable and intimate expertise in the course of stunning nature. The water isn’t too scorching, so it’s very best for somebody who doesn’t like scorching springs with excessive temperatures. It makes it very best for a calming bathtub. Plus, its outlying location means fewer folks, permitting you to completely chill out and benefit from the second. Along with the new tub, there’s a very cute altering room produced from wooden and stones the place you’ll be able to change and depart your garments.
How one can get to Guðrúnarlaug
Guðrúnarlaug Sizzling Spring is positioned within the western a part of Iceland round 170 kilometers from Reykjavík. In case you are heading there from the capital, comply with the Ring Street, and while you attain Bifröst, activate Street 60, which is able to take you virtually to the spot. The new spring is subsequent to Dalahótel.
Recommendations on visiting Guðrúnarlaug
- As we stated, the water will not be too scorching, which can be good, however when the climate will not be very nice, the water could be too chilly.
- In case you are going from Reykjavík, make a cease in Bifröst and revel in a stroll on the highest of the volcanic crater.
- Plan the go to this spring if you’re heading to Westfjords as it’s in your approach.
Hrunalaug is one other cute and comfortable scorching spring accompanied by picket and stone shelter. It’d remind you of Guðrúnarlaug Sizzling Spring, however it’s bigger and strategically positioned close to the Golden Circle.
Why go to Hrunalaug
Hrunalaug gives a small quiet scorching spot hidden in the course of lush greenery. There’s a place to vary or depart your garments and two pure swimming pools. It is a wonderful different to the crowded Fontana Spa and Secret Lagoon positioned close by.
It was a lesser-known spot for experiencing Iceland’s geothermal wonders. Nonetheless, it’s getting increasingly common. However if you’re fortunate, the swimming pools could be completely empty, and you’ll totally take pleasure in this peaceable place. The steam rising from the nice and cozy water and the close by river make you’re feeling such as you’re in a fairy story.
How one can get to Hrunalaug
To seek out Hrunalaug, you have to head to the small village of Flúðir. From there, it’s only a brief drive. Comply with Street 344 and after round 3km flip proper, comply with the street for an additional 700 meters, after which flip proper once more. In just a few meters, you’ll arrive on the car parking zone of Hrunalaug. Depart your automobile right here and stroll round 130 meters till you attain the vacation spot.
Recommendations on visiting Hrunalaug
- Hrunalaug is located on personal land. For safety causes and doubtless due to rising reputation, there are set opening hours and entrance charges (2000 ISK for adults). There may be additionally a time restrict for visiting, which is 1 hour 30 minutes.
Situated on the seaside within the distant a part of Westfjords, bringing you to the untouched Icelandic landscapes. That’s Krossneslaug. The drive there’s tough, however it’s well worth the journey.
Why go to Krossneslaug
The expertise right here is about embracing the wild great thing about Iceland whereas having fun with a heat, stress-free bathtub. The pool is true by the ocean, providing you a surprising view of the Arctic Ocean. There’s a huge likelihood, you may be there alone, due to this fact you’ll really feel such as you’ve found a well-kept secret and reached the top of the world.
How one can get to Krossneslaug
We gained’t lie. You want time and a few sturdy nerves to get to Krossneslaug, possibly even a 4×4 automobile, because the street is a bit bumpy and unpaved. But it surely isn’t crucial. Attending to Westfjords itself is kind of an journey, so this would possibly add some spice to it.
Drive to Hólmavík, comply with the primary street till a activate Street 643. There aren’t many choices, so comply with the street by the shore one other 80km. The pool is by the top of the street, so you can’t miss it.
Recommendations on visiting Krossneslaug
- It’s not a pure scorching spring. It’s an outdoor pool, however it’s giant and good for swimming.
- There’s a cabin with altering rooms, bogs, and a bathe for each women and men.
- There may be an entrance payment of 1000 ISK for adults.
- The drive is troublesome, however you get an opportunity to take pleasure in some wonderful views and expertise true Icelandic landscapes.
Additionally learn: Solo traveler in Iceland? No downside
Reykjadalur may be very common as it’s a true geothermal wonderland positioned only a brief drive from Reykjavik within the south of Iceland.
Why go to Reykjadalur
Reykjadalur is exclusive as it isn’t only a scorching pool. It’s a scorching river. You get to hike by stunning landscapes after which chill out in a heat river surrounded by beautiful views. It’s a good for one-day journey if you’re in Reykjavík or the south.
How one can get to Reykjadalur
Firstly, it’s essential to get to Hveragerði, which is a 45-minute drive from Reykjavik, or 1 hour and 45mins from Vík. The hike to the new river takes round 45 minutes.
Recommendations on visiting Reykjadalur
- Prepare for some crowds. It is a extremely popular spot.
- The upper you get on the river, the hotter the water will get. Pay attention to indicators telling you the place to not go.
- The entire space is stuffed with trails so if you’re a climbing lover, you’ll be able to take pleasure in some further steps.
Drangsnes Sizzling Pots
Drangsnes Sizzling Pots gives a novel coastal bathing expertise within the charming village of Drangsnes. These three seaside scorching tubs overlook the ocean, offering an effective way easy methods to chill out.
Why go to Drangsnes
To take pleasure in dawn, and sundown, or expertise the midnight solar virtually in the course of nowhere. In case you are touring round Westfjords, cease in Drangsnes and revel in a while off with a view. Though the tubs are positioned proper subsequent to the street, they’re strategically hidden behind the rocks so you’ll be able to take pleasure in your second of leisure actually undisturbed.
How one can get to Drangsnes
The new tubs are in the course of Drangsnes in Westfjords, not very far-off from Hólmavík. That you must get on Street 61 after which activate Street 643, after just a few kilometers activate Street 645 and proceed till you attain Drangsnes.
Recommendations on visiting Drangsnes
- Throughout the street from these tubs, there’s a bathe and bogs. The place is nicely maintained.
- In case you are fortunate sufficient, you would possibly see some whales within the distance or seals taking part in within the ocean.
Húsafell Canyon Baths
Húsafell Canyon Baths are a set of man-made geothermal baths nestled in a lava area in West Iceland. Despite the fact that the place isn’t pure, it’s designed to mix easily with the panorama. In case you are searching for a spot to flee from a rush, this could be a spot for you.
Why go to Húsafell Canyon Baths
The baths are constructed from native pure supplies and sources akin to stone from the canyon flooring. The cabin is produced from saved wooden from the realm. Even the hooks within the altering room are reused horseshoes from a household farm within the neighborhood. By visiting this place, you’ll not solely really feel linked to Icelandic nature but additionally to Icelandic traditions.
How one can get to Húsafell Canyon Baths
Húsafell is a few two-hour drive from Reykjavik. The baths are simply accessible, and also you’ll discover them throughout the Húsafell Resort space. To get there it’s essential to comply with the street 518.
Recommendations on visiting Húsafell Canyon Baths
- It is a paid scorching pool. If you happen to plan to go to it, don’t neglect to ebook your ticket upfront.
- The water is round 38 levels, though there’s a pure 6-degree pool fed straight from the river.
- Mix the go to to the baths with exploring the Icelandic Highlands.
As you propose your go to to Iceland, don’t neglect so as to add these outstanding scorching springs to your itinerary.
Whether or not you search journey within the distant Highlands or a tranquil soak within the midst of nature, Iceland’s scorching springs provide a various vary of experiences.
From hidden gems to well-known sights, every scorching spring holds its personal distinctive attraction, promising unforgettable recollections amidst Iceland’s breathtaking landscapes.