There are numerous nice day journeys from Cape City for any traveler be it an adventurous traveler, a household with youngsters, or a honeymoon couple. From unimaginable climbing routes to breathtaking scenic drives, from famend wine routes to various wildlife, it can by no means disappoint you simply have to decide on the appropriate place for you. Cape City has many unimaginable issues to do a few of the steered day journeys are undoubtedly to incorporate in your bucket checklist.
There are numerous incredible espresso retailers in Cape City the place you’ll be able to cease for breakfast and low earlier than beginning your Cape City day journey.
Tips on how to do day journeys from Cape City?
Renting a automobile is the simplest means of doing day journeys from Cape City. For those who’re a couple of particular person renting a automobile will work out cheaper than doing day excursions. One of the simplest ways is to lease a automobile at Cape City airport on arrival then you’ll be able to drop it off while you fly out. You don’t want a giant 4×4 automobile to do day journeys round Cape City a small automobile might be nice.
For those who’re alone becoming a member of a day tour to go to some sights exterior Cape City is perhaps a greater possibility than renting a automobile. On a tour, there might be somebody to speak to and take images of you. There are numerous totally different day excursions to essentially the most fascinating sights close to Cape City.
Among the hottest day excursions from Cape City
The 11 greatest day journeys from Cape City
We lived in Cape City for a few years and extensively explored town and its environment. Beneath yow will discover some day journey concepts and distinctive experiences that may enrich your South Africa vacation.
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 50 km/31 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 45min – 1 hour
- When to go to – in the summertime months (December and January) Monday to Friday if you wish to skip weekend crowds. Saturdays and Sundays if you wish to go to native meals markets.
- Common price – ZAR 75/US$5 per tasting (3-5 wines)
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Franschhoek
Go to Stellenbosch with a tour
It’s one in every of our favourite day journeys from Cape City. Western Cape and Stellenbosch specifically are often known as the highest wine areas in South Africa. With greater than 150 farms, it’s troublesome to beat it by the quantity or by the standard of wines. If some wine route like Franschhoek, for my part, is extra of a romantic/big day factor, wine tasting in Stellenbosch is nice for anyone; households, a gaggle of buddies, or perhaps a single traveler. You simply have to seek out the appropriate wine farms for you.
For those who don’t need to drive your self you’ll be able to be part of one of many wine-tasting excursions from Cape City that embody choose up and drop off at your resort/home. An alternative choice is to make use of hop-on-hop-off wine buses that depart from Stellenbosch. You may select one of many three routes: the Northern Route Wine route, the Southern Route Wine route, or the Japanese Route Wine route.
Moreover wine tasting, there are a lot of different actions round Stellenbosch from climbing in Jonkershoek Nature Reserve and mountain biking one of many trails to off-road driving, visiting the historic museum, and having fun with a stupendous sculpture backyard.
Jonkershoek Nature Reserve is a shocking place close to Stellenbosch even the drive there’s stunning. Climbing right here is one in every of our favourite issues to do in Stellenbosch. There are a number of climbing routes contained in the reserve from brief and straightforward walks appropriate for the entire household to lengthy and difficult trails for comparatively match folks.
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 80 km/50 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 1h10min.
- Finest time to go to – Monday to Saturday, some wine farms and eating places are closed on Sundays. For those who come on Saturday you’ll be able to go to the native meals market within the city.
- Common price – ZAR 75/US$5 per tasting (3-5 wines).
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Stellenbosch
Go to Franschhoek with a tour
Franschhoek Valley is my favourite place to return for wine tasting. For the reason that first time my husband introduced me right here, I fell in love with this charming city and its picturesque environment. Franschhoek is a good place to return for a romantic weekend getaway from Cape City. Right here yow will discover all you want for an ideal weekend – nice wine, scrumptious meals, and gorgeous surroundings. We at all times have fun our marriage ceremony anniversary and Valentine’s Day right here.
You may drive to Franschhoek your self, be part of a wine tour from Cape City, or discover the world using a hop-on-hop-off wine tram. An enormous benefit of the final two choices is that you just don’t have to fret about consuming and driving you’ll be able to check as many wines as you need. Franschhoek wine tram is a singular means of doing wine tasting. The tram route begins within the city. There are 8 totally different routes every goes to 5-7 wine farms the place you will get off the tram, style wine, and have lunch.
You may drive to Franschhoek your self and get on the tram there or take a tour from Cape City that features a return shuttle to your resort and a tram ticket.
Wine tasting just isn’t the one exercise there are a lot of different issues to do in Franschhoek that might be fascinating for the entire household. You may drive over the Franschhoek Cross, go on a brief hike in Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve, go to the Motor Museum with an excellent assortment of outdated automobiles, learn to make chocolate, and lots of different fascinating issues.
Boulders Seaside, Simon’s City
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 40 km/24 mi
- Finest time to return – between December and February there are a lot of vacationers at Boulders, particularly over the weekends, be sure that to return right here early.
- Opening hours – winter (April – September) from 8am to 5pm, summer time (October – November and February – March) from 8am to six.30pm, the height season (December and January) from 8am to 7.30pm.
- Admission payment – foreigners ZAR 176/US$9 adults, ZAR 88/US$4 youngsters, South Africans ZAR 44/US$2 adults, ZAR 22/US$1 youngsters.
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Cape Level and Muizenberg
Go to Boulders Seaside with a tour
Boulders Seaside is without doubt one of the not-to-miss locations in Cape City. It’s an ideal day journey from Cape City. This stunning white sand seashore is surrounded by large boulders with many cute African penguins strolling round. Boulders Seaside is a must-include in your Cape City itinerary when you journey with youngsters they’ll take pleasure in it so much. You may go for a swim right here when you’re not afraid of chilly water. A go to to this seashore may be executed as part of a day street journey from Cape City across the Cape Peninsula. For those who don’t really feel like driving your self you’ll be able to be part of a half-day tour from Cape City to Boulders Seaside.
- Distance from Cape City (a method, alongside the coast) – 79 km/49 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 1h45min.
- Finest time to go to – November to April, it will get very windy in summer time. In December and January on weekends the park could be very busy, you might need to attend on the gate for some time.
- Opening hours (Cape of Good Hope) – April – September from 7am to 5pm, October – March from 6am to 6pm
- Admission payment (Cape of Good Hope) – foreigners ZAR 376/US$20 adults, ZAR 188/US$10 youngsters, South Africans ZAR 94 adults, ZAR 47 youngsters.
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Boulders Seaside and Muizenberg
Go to Cape Peninsula with a tour
The drive across the Cape Peninsula is one in every of our favourite drives in South Africa. It’s an excellent day journey from Cape City. The surroundings is superb and there are a lot of stunning locations to cease alongside the route. Begin your day journey with the dawn at Camps Bay. This journey may be executed with a tour from Cape City that may take you to the primary highlights of the route.
The well-known Chapman’s Peak Drive is essentially the most stunning a part of the scenic drive. It’s a 9 km drive between Hout Bay and Noordhoek. There are a few viewpoints alongside the drive the place you’ll be able to cease for images. It’s a toll street, so that you’ll should pay ZAR 61/US$3 per automobile. At Hout Bay harbour you’ll be able to spot cape fur seals within the water searching for leftovers from fishermen’s boats.
Cape Level Nature Reserve is a spectacular place. It provides a few of the greatest surroundings in Cape City, and it’s a bucket checklist place to incorporate in your Cape City itinerary. One can simply spend the entire day right here exploring the world. There are a number of not-to-miss sights right here equivalent to Dias Seaside, a white-sand seashore surrounded by the cliffs, New Lighthouse, Cape of Good Hope, Flying Dutch funicular, and a number of other tide swimming pools and viewpoints.
Climbing round Cape Level you’ve got probabilities to see some wild animals equivalent to mongooses, zebras, ostriches, porcupines, tortoises, chameleons, and many others. My recommendation is when you’ve got time after visiting the primary a part of the park drive away to quieter areas your probabilities of seeing wildlife there are a lot greater.
There are a number of day excursions from Cape City to Cape Level. For those who’re into pictures you would possibly take pleasure in the Cape Level Instagram tour. For outside lovers, there’s a nice different to sitting within the automobile – discover Cape Level on an electrical bike tour.
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 25 km/15,5 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 30-40 minutes relying on the site visitors
- Finest time to go to – November to April, it will get very windy within the peak summer time. In December and January on weekends the park could be very busy, you might need to attend on the gate for some time.
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Boulders Seaside, Cape Level, and Constantia
Muizenberg is a well-liked browsing spot in Cape City. Throughout the season you’ll be able to see lots of of surfers within the water. There are a few surf faculties and board rental locations within the city. It’s an excellent spot for a browsing day journey from town. Muizenberg Seaside is a stupendous white-sand seashore good for tanning. Colourful wood huts on the seashore are one of the crucial in style photograph spots in Cape City.
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 18 km/11 mi
- Driving time – 20-30 min. relying on the site visitors
- Finest time to go to – Monday to Thursday if you wish to skip the crowds
- Common price – ZAR 75-100/US$5 for tasting as much as 5 wines
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Muizenberg
Go to Constantia with a tour
Constantia wine route is the closest to Cape City place for wine tasting. It’s an excellent possibility to return and take a look at a few of the greatest wine inside a brief drive from Cape City. The Constantia Valley is a shocking place with stunning surroundings and a few of the oldest wine estates within the nation. There are 9 wine farms in Constantia, which means you’ll be able to simply go to half of them in at some point. You may drive your self or be part of a non-public wine tour that features resort pick-up and drop-off. For those who’re up for an journey you are able to do a biking wine tour via the valley.
Groot Constantia is the one to not miss right here. It’s the oldest wine farm in South Africa and one of many oldest within the Southern Hemisphere. Klein Constantia and Constantia Glen are two extra farms I’d advocate together with in your checklist. Most farms within the valley do wine tasting with out prior association. You may mix tasting with lunch at one of many estates, most of them have nice eating places on their premises.
You may mix wine tasting in Constantia with driving round Cape Peninsula or browsing in Muizenberg. For those who journey with youngsters earlier than or after the tasting take them to Boulder’s Seaside to see cute African penguins or do a ship tour from Hout Bay to see playful seals.
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 10 km/5 mi offshore
- Tour period – 3h30min. together with a return ferry journey
- Departure instances from V&A Waterfront – every day 9 am, 11 am, 1 pm, and three pm (solely between 1st September and thirtieth April)
- Finest time to go to – October to April
- Ferry worth (together with an island tour) – from ZAR 400/US$21 (South Africans), ZAR 600/US$31 (foreigners) per particular person
Go to Robben Island with a tour
Robben Island is without doubt one of the most necessary historic locations in Cape City. The island may be visited solely with a tour that features a return ferry journey and an tour. A ship tour to the island is an ideal day journey from Cape City the place you’ll be able to study in regards to the current historical past of the nation, take pleasure in spectacular views of the Cape Peninsula, and observe the various marine lifetime of the area. The primary attraction of Robben Island is an ex-prison that was was a museum. Former South African president Nelson Mandela was essentially the most well-known prisoner on Robben Island. He spent there 18 years.
The title of the island comes from the Dutch phrase for seals. You continue to can see them within the waters across the island. The historical past of Robben Island dates again to the sixteenth century when it was used as a stopping level for ships. after it grew to become a Dutch after which British penal colony. Within the nineteenth – the start of the twentieth century century it was was a leper colony. From the second half of the twentieth century until 1991 it was used as a most safety jail the place many political prisoners together with Nelson Mandela have been held.
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 120 km/74,5 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 1h30min. – 2 hours relying on the site visitors
- Finest time to go to – July to October when Southern proper whales come right here for mating and calving.
- Boat tour costs – from ZAR 1000/US$55 per particular person (together with switch from Cape City).
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Cape Agulhas
Go to Hermanus with a tour
It’s an ideal day journey from Cape City to see the various marine lifetime of the area. Hermanus and Gansbaai are one of the best locations in South Africa to see Southern Proper whales. Your probabilities of seeing them within the peak season are very excessive. It’s potential to see them from the shore however for a detailed encounter go on a whale-watching boat tour. If you wish to see calf whales, August and September are one of the best months for whale watching in Hermanus. On a pleasant day, you’ll be able to see a number of mother-calf pairs.
Outdoors the Southern Proper whale season, you’ll be able to see seals, nice white sharks, dolphins, penguins, and occasional Bridal whales. If you wish to see one of the crucial well-known water predators on the earth, the good white shark you’ll be able to mix a whale-watching tour with shark cage diving in Gansbaai.
There are different issues to do in Hermanus in addition to whale watching. It’s a stupendous city well-known for its nice eating places the place you’ll be able to strive recent seafood and fish and nice wine estates. On a day journey from Cape City to Hermanus, you’ll be able to see marine animals, take pleasure in scrumptious meals, and style native wines.
On the way in which to Hermanus, you’ll be able to cease at Stony Level Nature Reserve in Betty’s Bay. It’s a excellent place to see African penguins. The seashore right here just isn’t as picturesque as Boulders Seaside in Cape City nevertheless it’s far much less touristy. Picket boardwalks take guests alongside the coast. Rocks and boulders are coated with lots of of penguins. You may see them swimming, strolling throughout boardwalks, and nesting.
Aquila Recreation Reserve, Worcester
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 175 km/108 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 2 hours
- Finest time to go to – early morning or night (after sundown) when it’s not too sizzling.
- Safari costs – from ZAR 2000/US$110 per particular person together with a return switch from Cape City, a 3-hour safari drive and lunch.
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Stellenbosch or Franschhoek
Go to Aquila with a tour
Aquila Personal Recreation Reserve is barely a 2-hour drive from Cape City, it’s an ideal place for a safari day journey. Aquila is the closest to the Mom Metropolis safari park the place you’ll be able to see the well-known African Massive 5 (elephant, rhino, buffalo, lion, and leopard). Moreover the large 5, there are a lot of different animals to see right here equivalent to hippos, zebras, giraffes, totally different African antelopes, and extra. The reserve is very large and occupies 10,000 hectares. Safari drives listed below are 100% wild experiences with a contact of luxurious. You may mix a safari drive with enjoyable at an area spa.
There are a number of methods to discover the reserve from self-drive to quad bike/horseback safaris and a helicopter fly-in. An alternative choice is to hitch a day tour from Cape City that features transportation out of your resort, entrance tickets, a recreation drive, and lunch.
- Distance from Cape City (a method) – 124 km/77 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 1h30min.
- Finest time to go to is the flower season between August and September when fields alongside the route are coated in spring flowers.
Go to the West Coast with a tour
It’s one of the crucial stunning Cape City day journeys in the course of the spring. The West Coast (Namaqualand) utterly transforms in spring, normally naked and dry after winter rains, the area appears to be like like one large colourful carpet. Hundreds of flowers cowl the fields alongside the coast. West Coast Nationwide Park close to Langebaan is one of the best place to return for a day journey from Cape City to see the well-known Namaqualand blossom. There are a number of brief climbing trails contained in the reserve. You may spend a few hours exploring the park and taking images.
Admiring flowers just isn’t the one exercise on the West Coast. The realm is legendary for its recent seafood. The small city of Paternoster, 40 km from Langebaan is one of the best place to strive it.
- Distance from Cape City (a method, alongside the coast) – 266 km/165 mi
- Driving time (a method) – 3h30min.
- Finest time to go to – the summer time months between November and March
- Will be mixed with a day journey to Hermanus
Go to Cape Agulhas with a tour
It’s one in every of our favourite street journeys in Cape City. Cape Agulhas is the southernmost level of the African continent and the assembly level of the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean. Many vacationers assume it’s Cape of Good Hope close to Cape City nevertheless it’s not. A drive from town alongside the coast to Cape Agulhas is without doubt one of the most scenic drives in Cape City with many stunning locations to cease in between.
Clearance Drive, a stretch of the coastal street between Gordons Bay and Rooiels is essentially the most stunning a part of the journey. From the lookout factors alongside the street, you usually see seals, dolphins, and in the appropriate season even whales. There are some superb locations to eat recent seafood in Hermanus in addition to a few wine-tasting estates with good eating places e.g. Black Oystercatcher Wines.
On this present day journey from Cape City, you’ll be able to go to Harold Porter Botanical Backyard or the penguin colony at Stony Level, do a whale-watching tour in Hermanus, or do shark-cage diving in Gansbaai. For those who determine to do a few of the talked about actions it’s important to begin driving early within the morning.
You may drive again the identical means alongside the coast or flip inland and drive via Caledon and over Sir. Lowry’s Cross, the view from the highest of the cross is sort of spectacular.
Locations to remain in Cape City
Cape City has many lodges, hostels, and guesthouses for any finances. My most important recommendation right here is to remain at a spot close to town heart (Lengthy Avenue, Bree Avenue), V&A Waterfront, or Inexperienced Level these are one of the best areas to remain for exploring town.
Cape City books and guidebooks
Disclosure: Stingy Nomads participate within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program. Whenever you purchase one thing really helpful on this put up, we could get an affiliate fee — nevertheless it by no means impacts your worth or what we choose.
Please comply with and like us:
The gorgeous half of Stingy Nomads, accountable for all our land adventures (climbing, climbing, strolling the Camino) and following them write-ups. Alya loves strolling since she was a baby, she prefers to stroll 1000 km with a backpack slightly than to do a ten 000 km street journey (really any street journey). Alya is a giant fan of Latin America, the Spanish language, and dancing. Each time we go away she desperately misses our canine Chile.