Final up to date on April twelfth, 2023 at 10:17 am
Searching for the very best nations to go to in Africa? Let me assist!
Africa is a large and various continent, so deciding the place to go might be troublesome and folks typically ask me that are my favorite nations in Africa to go to.
“I solely have a short while,” they are saying. “The place would you go for those who had to decide on?”
Effectively, that is very subjective and I haven’t been all over the place in Africa, however from the nations I’ve been to (I haven’t been to Ethiopia or Ghana but – I’m going to each in 2024 – and I’m fairly certain I’ll love these), these can be my greatest nations to go to in Africa (they’re in alphabetical order – I couldn’t select, oh, and there’s 11, not 10, as a result of 10 is catchier than 11😉)….
Please Notice: A few of the hyperlinks on this publish are affiliate hyperlinks, which is able to earn me a small fee at no further price to you. Affiliate gross sales assist with the working prices of this website, so thanks in your assist!
The Greatest African Nations to Go to
Africa – Greatest Nations to Go to in East Africa
Kenya is among the greatest African nations to go to as a result of it has a little bit little bit of every little thing – nice safaris, thrilling cities, and delightful seashores. It’s typically known as Africa for rookies because the vacationer path is well-trodden in Kenya.
It has loads of nationwide parks, together with the legendary Masai Mara which is house to the ‘Massive 5’ safari animals (elephant, lion, leopard, Cape buffalo and black rhino) and the annual wildebeest migration, and Samburu Nationwide Reserve which is house to the ‘Particular 5’.
There are additionally loads of different nationwide parks to go to and when you’re performed, you’ll be able to loosen up on the gorgeous seashores of the Swahili Coast or on the island of Lamu.
See my full Kenya journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Kenya Highlights
- Happening safari in Masai Mara Nationwide Reserve and seeing the wildebeest migration.
- Seeing the elephants in Amboseli Nationwide Park (with lovely views of Mount Kilimanjaro).
- Happening safari in Tsavo Nationwide Park which is known for giant numbers of elephants.
- Exploring Nairobi Metropolis and Nairobi Nationwide Park.
- Visiting Lake Turkana and experiencing the Lake Turkana Pageant.
- Visiting the Maasai or Samburu tribe.
- Exploring historic Mombasa and the Swahili coast (Malindi, Diani, Kilifi & Watamu).
- Dwelling the ‘hakuna matata’ life on Lamu island.
- Assembly the rhinos on the Ol Pejeta Conservancy.
- Climbing Mount Kenya, the 2nd highest mountain in Africa.
What can I say about Tanzania? It’s the African all-rounder actually, which is what makes it the most effective African nations to go to! With a mixture of modernity, historical past and a little bit little bit of Swahili magic. Tanzania was listed in CNN’s greatest locations to go to in 2023.
Tanzania is the Africa of your goals and even with months to discover, you’ll by no means get tired of this huge, lovely and culturally various nation – I by no means have!
It’s house to a few of the greatest safari locations on the planet, together with the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater, in addition to Africa’s highest mountain, Mount Kilimanjaro.
The seashores are lovely and you’ll love the colourful Swahili coast, together with the historic and interesting islands of the Zanzibar Archipelago.
See my full Tanzania journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Tanzania Highlights
- Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or close by Mount Meru.
- Happening a Northern Circuit safari (Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Tarangire).
- Happening a Southern Circuit safari (Selous, Mikumi, Udzungwa Mountains and Ruaha).
- Taking the Tazara Practice from Tanzania to Zambia (or vice versa).
- Visiting a tribe such because the Maasai or the Hadzabe.
- Mountain climbing via the Usambara Mountains.
- Visiting the historic city of Bagamoyo.
- Exploring the Zanzibar Archipelago (Unguja, Pemba & Mafia Island).
- Seeing the Chimps in Mahale Mountains Nationwide Park.
- Visiting the cities of Moshi and Arusha.
Winston Churchill described Uganda as “the Pearl of Africa”, so if Churchill thought Uganda was the most effective nations in Africa to go to, then that’s adequate for me. And CNN additionally added Uganda to it’s ‘should go to’ listing for 2023.
I liked Uganda from the second I crossed over the border from Kenya and it truly is a particular place. There are such a lot of nice issues to do in Uganda and I fall a little bit bit extra in love with the nation each time I’m going.
Uganda is known for its pleasant folks, lush inexperienced surroundings, unimaginable nationwide parks and is among the greatest and solely locations on the planet to go each chimpanzee and gorilla trekking.
It’s additionally house to the River Nile, Lake Victoria, Murchison Falls Nationwide Park, Mount Elgon and the Rwenzori Mountains, so if journey journey is your factor, you’ll undoubtedly discover what you might be on the lookout for in Uganda.
See my full Uganda journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Uganda Highlights
- Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
- Getting adventurous on the River Nile in Jinja and Bujagali.
- Seeing the white rhinos on the Ziwa Rhino Sanctuary.
- Climbing Uganda’s 4th highest mountain, Mount Elgon.
- Happening safari in Murchison Falls Nationwide Park.
- Experiencing the colourful Kampala nightlife.
- Exploring the Crater Lakes area.
- Chimpanzee trekking in Kibale Forest Nationwide Park or Budongo Central Forest Reserve.
- Experiencing life within the Ssese Islands on Lake Victoria.
- Mountain climbing the Rwenzori Mountains, also referred to as the ‘Mountains of the Moon’.
Africa – Greatest Nations to Go to in Southern Africa
There’s nothing fairly like a Botswana safari. Actually, The Telegraph even named it ‘the BEST safari in Africa’, and I’d 100% agree.
You get superb safaris in nations like Kenya and Tanzania too, however there’s one thing actually particular about safaris in Botswana, they’re non-short of magical. Possibly it’s one thing to do with the sunshine? Or the sheer wildness of all of it?
With little or no growth within the nation, it actually is a superb place to get away from all of it and expertise one of many final true wilderness locations left on the planet. However there are additionally numerous issues to do in Botswana that aren’t simply safaris.
One draw back to Botswana, is that it may be costly, however it is usually doable to journey Botswana on a funds, if you understand how (I may also help you there).
Botswana is house to one of many largest elephant populations on the planet, and a terrific place to identify leopards, so if safari is your factor, that is the place to be.
See my full Botswana journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Botswana Highlights
- Happening safari in Chobe Nationwide Park (each Savuti and Chobe Riverfront areas).
- Taking a standard mokoro (canoe) journey via the Okavango Delta.
- Seeing the Okavango Delta from the air on a scenic flight.
- Spending time with the meerkats of the Makgadikgadi Pan.
- Seeing the annual Zebra migration.
- Spending time with the San Bushmen of the Kalahari.
- Happening safari within the Khwai Concession.
- Happening safari in Moremi Sport Reserve.
- Going off the overwhelmed path within the Central Kalahari Sport Reserve.
- Visiting the traditional rock work of the sacred Tsodilo Hills.
It is a new addition, as I solely visited Madagascar for the primary time in November 2022. Nevertheless it shortly made its manner into my high 10 (okay, 11) favorite nations in Africa!
Madagascar is completely different to wherever else I’ve ever been. A mixture between Southeast Asia and Africa, with many various subcultures and tribes, every with its personal distinctive customs, traditions and fady (superstitions and taboos).
Madagascar doesn’t have any conventional safaris, as you have got on the mainland, however does have loads of wildlife together with lemurs, fossas, reptiles and marine life (humpback whales, whale sharks). It additionally has lovely seashores, superb meals, great surroundings and pleasant folks.
Travelling in Madagascar might be tough at occasions, but it surely’s such an journey. You could go earlier than everybody else realises how superb it’s!
See my full Madagascar journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Madagascar Highlights
- Seeing the ring-tailed lemurs in Anja Neighborhood Reserve.
- Photographing the Avenue of the Baobabs at dawn or sundown.
- Exploring Tsingy de Bemaraha Nationwide Park.
- Listening to the indris name in Andasibe-Mantadia Nationwide Park.
- Canoeing and mountaineering via Ranomafana Nationwide Park.
- Swimming with whale sharks in Nosy Be.
- Seeing humpback whales in Ifaty or Nosy Boraha (Île Sainte-Marie).
- Mountain climbing via Isalo Nationwide Park.
- Enjoyable on the gorgeous seashore of Anakao.
- Getting up shut with lemurs at Lemur Island.
Malawi is an unimaginable nation, typically missed in comparison with its extra well-known neighbours. However I’d go so far as to say that Malawi is probably my favorite place in Africa to go correct backpacking, because it’s simple sufficient to get round by public transport, very secure and never overly saturated with vacationers.
I had certainly one of my favorite ever (‘Kind 2 Enjoyable’) journey experiences while taking the Ilala Ferry in Malawi.
This landlocked nation is named the ‘Heat Coronary heart of Africa’ as a result of friendliness of the native folks and it tends to be a spot that you simply by no means need to go away.
The persons are great, the vibe is relaxed and the backpacker hostels are all superior, so it’s not unusual for somebody to go to a spot for a number of days and find yourself leaving a month later.
See my full Malawi journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Malawi Highlights
- Chilling out at Cape Maclear.
- Partying on the Lake of Stars pageant.
- Happening safari in Liwonde Nationwide Park.
- Mountain climbing the Zomba Massif.
- Climbing formidable Mount Mulanje.
- Happening safari in Majete Wildlife Reserve.
- Mountain biking in Nyika Nationwide Park.
- Staying at The Mushroom Farm in Livingstonia.
- Hanging out in enjoyable Nkhata Bay.
- Taking the Ilala ferry alongside Lake Malawi.
Mozambique is an unimaginable nation, on the east coast of Southern Africa.
Travelling Mozambique isn’t at all times simple, because it’s rather a lot much less developed than most of its neighbours and there are some locations it’s essential keep away from (the far north coast, close to the Tanzanian border), however it’s rewarding and at all times an journey.
The seashores are a few of the greatest you’ll discover in all of Africa, from the gorgeous sandbanks of the Bazaruto Archipelago all the best way right down to Ponta do Ouro within the south.
There’s glorious snorkelling and diving all alongside the coast and the city of Tofo is among the greatest locations on the planet to go swimming with whale sharks too.
My Prime 10 Mozambique Highlights
- Swimming with whale sharks in Tofo.
- Exploring cosmopolitan Maputo.
- Visiting Inhaca Island.
- Scuba diving the Bazaruto Archipelago.
- Taking a dhow journey from Vilanculos.
- Going island hopping across the Quirimbas Islands.
- Visiting Quirimbas Nationwide Park.
- Happening safari within the Niassa Reserve.
- Exploring the Ilha de Moçambique.
- Enjoyable on the seashores of Xai-Xai.
Namibia is among the most original, fascinating and huge nations in all of Africa and with a inhabitants of solely 2.5 million folks, it’s one of the crucial sparsely populated nations on earth (subsequently one of many most secure nations in Africa too).
With its other-worldly look, Namibia is a photographer’s dream, with mysterious coastlines, colossal sand dunes, huge deserts, unimaginable wildlife and ethereal starry skies – there are such a lot of distinctive locations to see and issues to do in Nambia.
It’s fairly abandoned in some methods and a terrific place to get away from the stresses of contemporary life, however with out being too out of your consolation zone, because it’s additionally very trendy in different methods.
Public transport received’t take you to all of the locations you would possibly need to go, so it’s a terrific place for a street journey or taking a gaggle tour.
See my full Namibia journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Namibia Highlights
- Happening safari in Etosha Nationwide Park.
- Exploring the Namib Desert at Sossusvlei and Deadvlei.
- Spending time with the San Bushmen within the Kalahari Desert.
- Taking a tour of Sandwich Harbour.
- Spending time with the Himba tribe.
- Exploring the shipwrecks of the Skeleton Coast.
- Mountain climbing the Waterberg Plateau.
- Getting adventurous in Swakopmund.
- Seeing the desert-adapted elephants of Damaraland.
- Marvelling at majestic Spitzkoppe.
South Africa might be essentially the most visited nation in Solar-Saharan Africa, and for good motive. South Africa has all of it! From the cosmopolitan cities to the unimaginable nationwide parks, to the gorgeous seashores and every little thing in between – South Africa is a superb place to go to, it doesn’t matter what your pursuits.
Cape City is certainly one of my favorite cities on the planet because it’s so lovely, and lively. There are such a lot of cool and free issues to do in Cape City and I really like road-tripping the Backyard Route. Johannesburg is fairly superior too!
The nation was nicknamed ‘The Rainbow Nation’ in 1994 after the apartheid period ended to explain the unity of the varied racial, ethnic and cultural teams within the nation.
See my full South Africa journey information right here.
My Prime 10 South Africa Highlights
- Exploring thrilling Cape City.
- Mountain climbing (or taking the cable automobile) up Desk Mountain.
- Highway tripping the Backyard Route.
- Happening safari in Kruger Nationwide Park.
- Seeing the ‘Massive 7’ in Addo Elephant Nationwide Park.
- Seeing the unimaginable Blyde River Canyon.
- Exploring the untamed Wild Coast.
- Mountain climbing within the Drakensburg Mountains.
- Happening safari in Pilanesburg Nationwide Park.
- Exploring hipster Johannesburg.
I completely love Zambia which is why I’m nominating it as the most effective locations to go to in Zambia.
Zambia needs to be one of many friendliest and most secure nations in Africa and with English being spoken by just about everybody, it’s a very simple place to journey.
Many individuals journey to Zambia as a result of it’s the house to Victoria Falls and all the superior actions you are able to do there, however fall in love with it on account of all the opposite superb issues this nation has to supply.
While it’s not as well-known as a few of the different safari locations in Africa, South Luangwa Nationwide Park is an unimaginable place. It’s my private favorite nationwide park in Africa and is nice for unbiased travellers as a result of ease of getting there.
See my full Zambia journey information right here.
My Prime 10 Zambia Highlights
- Visiting Livingstone & Victoria Falls.
- Swimming within the Satan’s or Angel’s Pool.
- Happening safari in South Luangwa Nationwide Park.
- Exploring the capital metropolis, Lusaka.
- Searching for wildlife in Kafue Nationwide Park.
- Being out in nature in Decrease Zambezi Nationwide Park.
- Hiring a houseboat on Lake Kariba.
- Visiting the Copperbelt in Northern Zambia.
- Happening safari in Mosi-oa-Tunya Nationwide Park.
- Canoeing alongside the Zambezi River.
Africa – Greatest Nations to Go to in West Africa
Sierra Leone, identified regionally as ‘Candy Salone’, is a tremendous, pleasant and vibrant nation, with rather a lot to do and see. Plus, it’s one of many solely English-speaking nations in West Africa.
It’s not an ‘simple’ nation to journey in as a result of there isn’t plenty of tourism infrastructure in place and it’s very a lot off the overwhelmed observe, however in my view, that’s additionally one of many largest causes for going there.
Trendy Salone is a far cry from its troubled previous and chances are you’ll be shocked to listen to that it’s additionally one of many most secure nations to go to (the fiftieth most secure nation on the planet).
Sierra Leone is a vibe, which is why it makes it onto my high 11 greatest nations to go to in Africa and is someplace everybody ought to go earlier than the remainder of the world realise how nice it’s.
My Prime 10 Sierra Leone Highlights
- Crusing throughout to the distant Turtle Islands.
- Exploring vibrant Freetown.
- Studying the historical past of the transatlantic slave commerce on Bunce Island.
- Visiting the Gola Rainforest.
- Searching for pygmy hippos on Tiwai Island.
- Experiencing native life on the Rogbonko Village Retreat.
- Seeing the rescued primates on the Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary.
- Chilling out on the seashores of the Freetown Peninsula.
- Visiting Outamba-Kilimi Nationwide Park.
- Climbing Mount Bintumani, Sierra Leone’s highest peak.
That are your greatest nations to go to in Africa? Any favorite locations or issues to do?
Pin This Put up For Later