Final up to date on March thirtieth, 2023 at 01:55 pm
Should you’ve by no means been on an African safari earlier than, realizing what to put on and what to pack is usually a little daunting!
However with this what to put on on safari information, I’ll allow you to select the perfect safari clothes in addition to all the opposite necessities chances are you’ll want.
On most journeys by way of East or Southern Africa, you might be more likely to encounter just a few totally different temperatures and climate circumstances inside one journey as it may be sizzling and humid on the coast, however dry and funky on the African savanna, just some hours away.
So in the event you’re occurring an extended journey that features various things corresponding to safari, trekking and seashore time – take into consideration your journey as a complete and plan your safari garments accordingly.
Please Word: A few of the hyperlinks on this publish are affiliate hyperlinks, which is able to earn me a small fee at no additional price to you. Affiliate gross sales assist with the operating prices of this website, so thanks in your assist!
Garments for Safari & What to Pack
Garments for Safari – What to Take into account
Okay, so I do know on Instagram, everybody appears like a glamorous, modern-day Karen Blixen, or a full-on Indiana Jones – however in actuality, hardly anybody clothes like that on a safari and it’s not normally required, particularly whenever you’re in a automobile all day.
By all means, costume like that if you wish to, it does look pretty in photos and khaki is fairly stylish nowadays, however don’t really feel such as you have to. The one time you actually want to be in safari colors is whenever you’re doing a strolling or biking safari (see under) and subsequently extra seen to the animals.
Most individuals put on both their regular garments or hiking-type garments once they’re on safari, so what I’m saying is, you don’t must exit and spend a ton of cash on particular ‘safari’ garments that you just may solely put on as soon as.
I’ve most likely finished over 100 safaris, and the one piece of ‘safari-specific’ clothes I personal, is my safari hat and acquired that as a result of it has nice solar safety, and I believed it could look good in photos – however any wide-brimmed excessive SPF hat would work!
I’ve some khaki-coloured garments, however most of them are simply common garments. I usually suggest cozy garments that may be layered.
You may also purchase insect-repellant clothes which is handled with permethrin (or different forms of bug spray), or you should purchase the permethrin your self and deal with your garments.
Your garments for safari ought to:
- Defend you from the solar.
- Defend you from bugs.
- Defend you from the setting (ie. scratches/stubbed toes).
- Will preserve you cool or heat.
Individuals consider Africa as a spot that’s at all times sizzling, but it surely actually isn’t! In truth, it may be extraordinarily chilly at occasions, particularly whenever you’re on early morning/night safaris, at altitude (like on the Ngorongoro Crater rim) or sitting exterior for hours at night time.
Sure occasions of yr are additionally very chilly too. Should you’re travelling within the European summer season months (Might – August), you’ll discover locations like Botswana, Namibia, Zambia, Kenya & Tanzania may be very chilly within the early mornings/evenings, however heat within the day!
No matter time of yr you go on safari, it’s at all times good to at the very least take a heat jumper, however within the colder months additionally, you will want a heat jacket and maybe thermals, heat socks, a beanie hat and gloves.
Should you’re doing any sort of tenting safari, do not forget that you’ll be exterior rather a lot!
I put on my regular garments for safari more often than not (denims/leggings or t-shirts/sweaters) once I’m within the automobile on safari.
Nevertheless, in the event you plan to do issues like nature walks, horse driving or biking safaris, it’s best (and infrequently required) so that you can put on extra impartial colors (inexperienced, beige, gray, brown, khaki).
For the above outfit, the place I used to be visiting the final two northern white rhinos in Kenya, I simply wore a light-weight inexperienced t-shirt from Vegan Outfitters, a pair of khaki-coloured pants from New Look and my Nike trainers. They weren’t particular garments, simply common garments.
I attempt to keep away from white (it appears nice, but it surely will get extraordinarily dusty/ruined – but it surely does look good when clear and many folks nonetheless put on white), and black and blue (as they’re identified to draw tsetse flies). They are saying you shouldn’t put on very brilliant colors as they appeal to mosquitoes, however apparently, mosquitoes don’t like white, inexperienced, or purple.
Additionally, you will need to keep away from any kind of camouflage or military-style clothes as some nations don’t permit it.
Lengthy-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants are helpful for a lot of causes! They preserve you heat, and shield you from the solar, insect bites and scratches.
It’s particularly essential to cowl up at nightfall and daybreak when the mosquitoes are most lively.
And in the event you’re doing any sort of jungle trekking (like gorilla trekking) lengthy shirts and pants are important to cease you from getting scratched by branches.
On safari you’ll typically be exterior for lengthy durations of time, so it’s worthwhile to take into consideration garments that may shield you from the sturdy African solar.
So I’d counsel a wide-brimmed solar hat (ideally with a chin strap for whenever you’re driving – they fly off simply), that has a excessive SPF issue and a long-sleeved shirt or coverup. And don’t neglect your sunscreen too.
Sun shades are an absolute should for me on a safari, to guard my eyes from the solar and since it’s so rattling dusty and windy within the safari vehicles. My eyes get actually dry, so I typically carry eye drops too.
I like to recommend having a pair of sturdy closed-toed footwear (like sneakers, strolling footwear, or boots) that are good for strolling round at night time, strolling safaris and hikes.
Should you want a pair of trainers for trekking that aren’t too heavy for every single day, I really like my Scarpa boots.
Strolling/water sandals with thick soles (like Tevas) are additionally good for carrying round camp in the course of the day, carrying at night time with thick socks or carrying on safari. As they’re fairly multi-purpose, they work effectively for different elements of your journey too (ie. in the event you’re going to the seashore afterwards and so on).
I additionally wish to take my Birkenstocks as they work for plenty of totally different events. Some folks like crocs too… however I can’t fairly carry myself to get on board with these but.
I’d keep away from carrying flip-flops. They are often good for across the pool, however they break simply and since the soles are fairly skinny, you possibly can really feel the acacia thorns that get caught in them.
Garments You Can Simply Pee In
Once you’re on safari, there could also be occasions when it’s worthwhile to pee within the bush. So… safari clothes that’s simple to tug up or down is greatest.
So while that khaki jumpsuit could look cute in your photos, it’s extremely impractical – getting half-naked whenever you’re attempting to pee rapidly behind a tree shouldn’t be excellent. Save the rompers for evenings within the lodge.
Safari Packing Checklist
- Solar Hat: A large-brimmed hat is a necessary a part of your safari clothes equipment. The crushable ones are greatest for packing. However I really like the hats from Rogue Open air. I’ve this one.
- Sun shades: To guard your eyes from the solar/mud/branches.
- Buff/Gentle Scarf: These are nice for maintaining you heat, protecting up from the solar, or maintaining the mud out of your hair/face. A shawl may make a reasonably regular outfit look a bit extra glam.
- Down (or Heat) Jacket: Important for the colder months.
- Fleece/Sweater: Important for all yr spherical, for morning safaris/evenings.
- Lengthy-Sleeved Shirt: Nice for solar and bug safety. You may also think about a thermal prime for when it’s chilly.
- Lengthy Pants: For heat, bug safety, and trekking. Should you carry leggings, thicker ones are higher as mozzies and tsetse can chew by way of thinner ones. I additionally like denims as you possibly can put on them on safari and within the cities, however they’re not nice for any humid areas.
- Shorts/T-shirts/Tank Tops: For on a regular basis put on. Be certain that your shorts aren’t ‘too’ brief.
- Gown/Night Put on: Should you’re on a tenting safari, you’ll most likely keep in what you wore in the course of the day. However in the event you’re at a lodge, you’ll need some nicer garments for the night – safari clothes doesn’t all must be sensible. However most lodges aren’t notably dressy although so you possibly can go away your ball robe at residence.
- Common Socks: For carrying with sneakers.
- Thick Socks: These are nice for maintaining you heat, climbing and mosquito safety. Rock the socks and sandals look, all of us do it in Africa.
- Underwear: I wish to carry sufficient for two weeks, however I do know some individuals who carry just some day’s value and wash within the bathe as they go!
- Sports activities Bra: Girls, in the event you get sore boobs on bumpy roads, carry an excellent, high-impact sports activities bra.
- Swimsuit: Some lodges have swimming pools, so pack your cozzie.
- Waterproof Jacket: You might need to take a packable waterproof jacket in case of rain.
Different Safari Necessities
- Bag: You’re going to wish one thing to place all that safari clothes in, so I like to recommend taking a gentle backpack or holdall, over a tough suitcase. I just like the Osprey Fairpoint vary. Mine is a 70L bag, however you’ll must examine your baggage restrictions.
- Daypack: A small rucksack is nice for holding your day-to-day necessities, valuables, and digicam. May also work as your carry-on for the airplane.
- Head Torch/Lamp: Very helpful for when the ability goes out! I by no means journey with out mine. Some safari lodges present these however higher to have your personal.
- Digicam & Lenses: You’ll need to seize all these great safari moments, so I like to recommend a DSLR with a lens of as much as 300 – 400mm. I just like the lenses that go from 18mm – 300/400mm so that you just don’t have to vary them, however these are fairly heavy to hold round on a regular basis.
- Spare Digicam Battery: So that you by no means must miss an awesome shot.
- Cellphone: Nice for taking close-ups and photos for Instagram.
- Chargers: For all electronics.
- Adapters: You will have to carry the related adapter relying on which nation you go to. You may see an inventory of the best adapters to carry on my vacation spot pages.
- Powerbank: Some safari vehicles have prices/plus in-built, however some don’t, so having a powerbank is de facto helpful.
- Sunscreen: SPF 50 or above is greatest.
- Mosquito Repellent: 50% DEET is advisable. I additionally just like the bands you will get in your wrists and ankles.
- Moist Wipes: Nice for having in your purse/purse to wipe of the safari mud.
- Hand Sanitizer: You gained’t at all times get probability to clean your fingers, so have some in your bag.
- Eye Drops: Nice to guard in opposition to dry eyes.
- Lip Balm: With an SPF to guard you from the solar.
- Moisturiser: Your pores and skin will get very dry, so carry some good moisturiser. I take face moisturiser, physique oil, lip balm, and heel cream – the whole thing!
For more information on what to pack in your journey general, see my full Backpacking Africa Packing Checklist.
One Final Piece of Recommendation
Attempt to not overpack. Should you’re on a driving safari, you have to to journey together with your bag within the automobile whenever you transfer between locations, so the much less stuff you’ve got, the much less stuffed your automobile shall be. That is extra essential when there are 6 of you in a automobile. If there’s simply a few you, you’ll have extra space.
Should you’re on a tenting safari, you’re going to must sleep together with your bag in your tent! Should you’re on a fly-in safari, most of the small airways have baggage restrictions (as much as 15kg and gentle baggage solely) so examine what you might be allowed to carry.
Have you ever been on a safari? Another solutions for nice safari clothes?
Pin This Submit For Later