One in every of Thailand’s most original and vigorous occasions, the Vegetarian Competition – also called the 9 Emperor Gods Competition – has its origins in Chinese language tradition. It’s believed that abstinence from meat and stimulants will result in good well being and peace of thoughts to people and the neighborhood.
Thus, a number of Thai individuals, particularly these of Chinese language lineage, will limit themselves to solely a vegetarian weight loss plan for 9 days and 9 nights for the needs of non secular cleaning, merit-making, conferring good luck, and guaranteeing prosperity and lengthy life.
This yr, the occasion takes place from 15-23 October. Guests will have the ability to expertise the celebration distinguished by distinctive charms and traits in main cities together with Bangkok, Samut Sakhon, Phuket, Hat Yai, Krabi, Trang, Phang Nga, in addition to different cities all through Thailand.
In Phuket, which is Thailand’s hottest place to expertise the Vegetarian Competition, beautiful rituals happen by which devotees mentioned to be in a trance-like state carry out breath-taking feats of self-mutilation like physique piercing, strolling on scorching coals, and climbing razor sharp ladders to show their devotion to the gods and ancestors. The Phuket Vegetarian custom supposedly started in 1825.
Participating in worship rituals, observing a vegan weight loss plan, venerating the emperor gods, road processions of God photographs and of celebrants, fire-walking ritual, and crossing a bridge of purification at these notable places. Some provide vegetarian dishes freed from cost all through the 9 or 10 days.
• Chon Buri, 13-24 October 2023, at Na Jasa Tai Chue Shrine.
• Prachin Buri, 14-23 October 2023, at Bampen Thammasathan Basis.
• Hat Yai, 14-23 October 2023, at Supasarn Rangsan Park, Songkhla.
• Phang-nga, 14-23 October 2023, at seven shrines across the province.
• Phak Hai, 15-23 October 2023, at Tai Hong Kong Shrine, Phak Hai District, Ayutthaya.
• Maha Sarakham, 15-23 October 2023, at Khun Wiro Kusolsongkroh Basis (Eng Tek Tung), Kantharawichai District.
• Korat (“jia-chai”), 15-23 October 2023, on the Thai Chinese language Vegan Membership and the shrines close to the Thao Suranari (Ya Mo) Monument, Nakhon Ratchasima.
• Udon Thani, 15-23 October 2023, at Grand Father-Grand Mom Shrine, Thai Chinese language Cultural Centre.
• Phuket, 15-23 October 2023, at 31 shrines across the province (click on to see the listing of shrines).
• Trang, 15-23 October 2023, on the shrines round Mueang District.
• Ranong, 15-24 October 2023, on the shrines round Ranong.
• Chumphon, 15-24 October 2023, at Pu Ming Tai Si Buddha Corridor.